2021-07-04

July 4th

 I get it. I really do. There's a lot of pride on this country, and there's a lot to be proud of.  I also understand that there are so many countries that have it way WAY worse than us. And for people that come to this country looking for a better way of life, even if only a little better, this country is such a benefit to them. "Benefit," is likely not strong enough of a word in their mind, I'm sure.  

That being said, I can't get over the history of this country.  I find history fascinating, which is one of the reasons I live in Philly.  The US, however, has a foundation built deep in theft and destruction of so many cultures.  On a podcast the other day, I heard a quote that shook me.  Basically the quote stated something to the effect of this country being literally built on stolen land and on the stolen work from slaves. Not just black slaves, but indentured servitude that was a life-long sentence, such as the Chinese.  In my own blood-line I see that land was stolen from my ancestors that were members of ancient American civilizations and then handed right over to other people in my blood-line that owned slaves. 

It's incredibly complicated, I know. But it's difficult for me to see the declaration of independence from England as any more than a land-grab from the ancient Americans that lived here and thrived here before the English came along. 

I do realize we take two steps forward and one step back almost every year here in the US so we are progressing.  But so many other countries have progressed so much further than we have. Well, except gun rights.  We have the monopoly on that one.  I'm glad, but I really would like to see us do better for people in need and to close the income gap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment